Kottayam, India: Three new Officers and a 17-member Executive Committee of the Christian Conference of Asia for the next quinquennium were elected unanimously on the fifth day of the 15th General Assembly.
Bishop Reuel Norman Marigza (Moderator), Dr (Ms) Anna Alisha Mathew Simon (Vice Moderator), and Rev. Chan Kwok-Keung (Treasurer) will be the three new officers. The four-member CCA Officers’ team will include the General Secretary who is currently serving a second term.
Bishop Reuel Norman Marigza from the United Church of Christ in the Philippines was a member of the Executive Committee of CCA since the Jakarta Assembly and subsequently served as the Acting Vice Moderator of CCA since December 2022. He was the immediate past General Secretary of the National Council of Churches in the Philippines and also served as the General Secretary of the United Church of Christ in the Philippines for two terms. A theological educator and seasoned ecumenical leader in Asia, Bishop Marigza has been involved in the ecumenical movement in the Philippines and in Asia in various capacities during the past decades. He was actively involved in CCA Youth Programmes when he was serving as a national youth secretary of the NCC Philippines in the mid-1980s.
Dr Anna Alisha Mathew Simon has been the Women’s Secretary of the Council of Churches in Malaysia for two years. A medical doctor by profession, she has been involved with the ecumenical movement in Malaysia in different capacities.
Rev. Chan Kwok-Keung, Dean of the St. John’s Cathedral of the Anglican Church in Hong Kong, is currently serving as the Honorary General Secretary of the Hong Kong Christian Council.
The following are the members of the new Executive Committee:
- Ms Hannah Manickyam Cassandra Mesa, Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand, and Polynesia
- Rev. John Charles Gilmore, National Council of Churches in Australia
- Rev. Jacklevyn Frits Manuputty, Communion of Churches in Indonesia
- Rev. Dethsacda Aphayamath, Lao Evangelical Church in the Democratic People’s Republic in Laos
- Ms Basanti Biswas, Methodist Church in India
- Rev. David Anirudha Das, National Council of Churches in Bangladesh
- Rev. David Nigel Perry Brohier, Church of Ceylon in Sri Lanka
- Archbishop Dikran Sebouh Sarkissian, Armenian Orthodox Church of Iran
- Ms Dymeas Sovy, Kampuchea Christian Council in Cambodia
- Rev. Levi Vasconcelos Pinto, Igreja Protestante iha Timor Lorosa’e in Timor Leste
- Rev. Prof. Dr Pradit Takerngrangsarit, Church of Christ in Thailand
- Ms Nant Ruth Shwe Sin Nyein Aye, Myanmar Council of Churches
- Mr Su-Hong Lim, Presbyterian Church in Taiwan
- Ms Tiurida Hutabarat, Protestant Christian Batak Church in Indonesia
- Dr (Ms) Youngmi Cho, Presbyterian Church in Korea
- Rev. (Ms) Zion Chung, Korean Christian Church in Japan
- Bishop Dr Kuriakose Mor Theophilose, Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church in India (Programme Committee Chairperson)
The new Executive Committee was officially installed during the closing worship of the 15th CCA General Assembly.
The first meeting of the Executive Committee will take place towards the end of the year during which the new Programme Committee of the CCA will be selected.
For more photos (photo gallery) please click here: Installation of the newly elected Executive Commttee of CCA (2023-2028) at the closing worship and Holy Eucharistic Service in the 15th General Assembly ; Jerusalem Mar Thoma Church, 3 October 2023